What Is Mold Remediation And Why Is It Important?
If you need to know what mold remediation Is and why it’s important, you’ve come to the right place. Mold is something that can be a big problem. Mold is found in thousands of houses, apartments, and businesses every year. Thankfully, mold remediation is available. Removing and cleaning mold, as well as making sure it doesn’t come back, is the role of mold remediation professionals.
How Mold Remediation Works
Generally, mold remediation works in four stages:
- Containment and ventilation: The first stage includes stopping the spread of the mold and making sure that any toxins are ventilated from the area.
- Cleaning and disinfection: The next step is to remove the physical presence of the mold. This is done by using the right mix of chemicals and good old fashioned elbow grease.
- Fixing the mold source: This can be the last step in most cases. Finding the source of the mold and fixing that problem can sometimes be difficult, but with the right tools this can most often be done.
- Encapsulating the mold: In some cases, there is no way to fix the source of the mold. In these cases, professionals can ‘cover’ and ‘starve’ the mold source so that it is unable to spread or grow.
How much does Mold Remediation Cost?
Mold remediation costs vary depending on the services needed and the size of the job. It can cost anywhere from as low as $500 to upwards of $7,000, depending on the location and if other services are required. Some of the circumstances that will affect the cost of mold remediation are:
- The size of the job: Depending on the size of the house, the cost is going to be different. A small one bedroom apartment will likely be much easier and faster to complete than a large house with an attic or basement.
- Where the mold is: If the mold is in areas that are difficult to reach, this will also increase the cost. In circumstances where the mold is inside of walls or in crawl-spaces or other tighter areas, special equipment or some repair work may be needed.
- The materials the mold has spread to: If there are fabrics or carpets affected by the mold, it is more difficult to remove. It also requires more investigation on the source of the mold and maybe even a need to replace the fabrics.
- Property damages: In cases with roof leaks or other issues to the structure that are causing the mold, repairs may be needed. This can raise the cost especially when considering the roof.
When do you need mold remediation?
It isn’t always obvious when you need mold remediation and mold removal. Here are some of the ways you can tell that you may have a mold problem and you might need mold removal services by professionals:
- Flooding and leaking: The most common cause of mold in most cases is a moist area. This helps mold grow and grow quickly. If there has been recent flooding, or there are any leaks in windows, doors, or the structure, mold will have a great breeding ground. Some common places are under the sink, the water heater, doors and windows, and showers and bathrooms.
- Strange smells: Mold does not smell good. Sometimes it can smell musty or have other odors that are not pleasant. Sniffing out the source is a great way to see if you have any mold.
- Water stains on the walls or ceiling: Because mold is most comfortable in moist locations, checking for water stains on the walls or ceilings can also be a good way to find mold.
- Health issues: In some cases, mold can be toxic. In these cases, you want to get out right away and speak with a medical professional. Some signs that you may have a mold problem are:
- Coughing and weezing
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Nose bleeds
- Chest tightening
It is important that if you have any of these symptoms, you speak with a trusted medical professional.
In case of mold, call the professionals
Mold is definitely a problem for a bunch of people. Thankfully, mold remediation professionals are around to help curb this common problem. Companies such as BenzVac offer mold remediation services. BenzVac has locations in both Boonton New Jersey, Emerson, and other places too. You can learn more about BenzVac by contacting them to see if they can help you with your mold problem.
In a lot of situations, these professionals can be in and out very quickly and make sure that you and your family are safe. Mold remediation is important because without these awesome professionals, the jungle of mold would be able to take over without a fight.